Who must successfully pass a normal or extended background check?
table of contents
Normal background check
The following persons must successfully pass or have passed a "normal background check", which must be repeated every 3 years:
- Persons recruited to implement, or to take responsibility for implementing, controls and access controls or other security controls in areas other than security restricted areas,
- Persons responsible for the implementation of the security programme submitted by a regulated agent
- Persons responsible for implementing the security controls and monitoring their compliance of a known consignor
- Persons with unescorted access to identifiable air cargo/air mail who have been subjected to the required security controls in accordance with 6.1.3 of Regulation (EU) 2015/1998 (→ EUR-Lex)
- Carrier's personnel having unsupervised access to cargo and mail when performing any of the functions referred to in point 22.214.171.124 or when performing any of the security controls provided for in this Chapter in accordance with point 126.96.36.199 of Regulation (EU) 2015/1998 (→ EUR-Lex)
As of 31 December 2021, additionally the following persons:
- Persons having unescorted access to air cargo and air mail, air carrier mail and materials, in-flight supplies and airport supplies that have been subjected to the required security controls;
- Persons who, in accordance with the national civil aviation security programme, have administrator rights or unsupervised and unrestricted access to the critical information and communication technology systems and data used for civil aviation purposes referred to in point 1.7.1 of Regulation (EU) 2019/1583 or otherwise identified in the risk assessment referred to in point 1.7.3 (cybersecurity).
Extended background check
The following persons must successfully pass or have passed an "extended background check", which must be repeated annually:
- Holders of an airport identification card with access to the security area
- Holder of a flight crew identification card for a crew member employed by a Union air carrier
- Persons recruited to carry out controls in security restricted areas
- Persons hired to perform access control in security restricted areas
- Persons hired to perform other security controls in security restricted areas
- Persons recruited to take responsibility for carrying out these controls
- Trainers according to Implementing Regulation (EU) 2015/1998 (→ EUR-Lex)
- EU aviation security validation auditor
The security checks pursuant to § 55 et seq. Security Police Act (SPG) remain unaffected.