Rules and committee work
European Union rules on interoperability
- 96/48/EC of 23 July 1996 on the interoperability of the trans-European high-speed rail system;
- 2001/16/EC of 19 March 2001 on the interoperability of the trans-European conventional rail system;
- 2004/50/EC of 29 April 2004 (corrigendum to the above two interoperability directives);
- 1692/96/EC of 23 July 1996 on Community guidelines for the development of the trans-European transport network and decision amending it (Decision No 884/2004/EC of 29 April 2004)
- revising the technical specifications for interoperability of the trans-European high-speed rail system (21 June 2007)
- for interoperability of the conventional rail system relating to various subsystems (see link at the end of this page)
- Technical specifications for interoperability (TSIs) of the trans-European high-speed rail system (May 2002)
Official texts and further information can be found in EUR-LEX, the online database of European Union law, and in the European Commission's web pages on "Transport ® Rail ® Interoperability".
The European Commission is assisted by a committee in its work on the subject of interoperability of the trans-European rail system. The legal basis for this body is Article 21 of Directive 96/48/EC. The committee is made up of representatives of the Member States and is chaired by the European Commission. Austria is represented on this committee by Railways Group of the Federal Ministry.
Tasks of the committee
- to consider all questions concerning the interoperability of the trans-European rail system;
- to consider all questions concerning implementation of the interoperability directives;
- to consider and take decisions on all measures necessary for the drawing up and implementation of
- technical specifications for interoperability and
- rules on railway safety.